Higher Standards » Informative articles on Christian education » The Government’s Greatest Weapon
The Government’s Greatest Weapon
You hear stories about them on the news every day: new episodes of bullying, school violence, and underage use and abuse of drugs, sex, and alcohol—all at your local public school. But the greatest danger facing children today isn’t physical. It’s a menace to the mind—the humanist philosophy of their textbooks.
Contrary to what the publishers would have you believe, there is no such thing as an amoral textbook. Textbooks don’t just provide facts; they provide the framework by which students learn to interpret those facts.
The major academic publishers have written God out of that framework, explaining Him away as a convenient crutch of weak minds. They have relegated His Word to the role of masterful, if outdated, literature.
What are public schools teaching our children? That God is irrelevant—an old-fashioned idea. That man can take care of himself by more “advanced” thinking. And where will that teaching leave them but adrift in the complexities of life?
You may be overwhelmed by the current events in America. You may feel helpless—without a voice, without a real say in what transpires in our government.
But there is hope, and you do have the power to influence the future of our nation and the future of our world. The truth is, our future teachers, scientists, and religious and political leaders are being influenced by what they’re learning right now.
Yes. The bureaucrats, the soldiers, and the college professors of tomorrow are sitting in school right now, being fed the doctrines of a secular government. A secular government that has admitted that it wants our children, and it will promise them the world to win their devotion.
Take a lesson from history. One of the most charismatic leaders of the modern world gained the enthusiastic trust of thousands, if not millions, of children by indoctrinating them from the start. These children were known as Hitler Youth.
Your children are the government’s greatest weapon. Don’t let the secular humanism of public school textbooks shape your children’s view of themselves and the world they live in. Don’t lie down and let the government take your children. Don’t give them up without a fight.
But where do you begin?
- Stay involved in your children’s education. If possible, find a Bible-based curriculum that is not only academically strong, but also spiritually strong. Parents who take a hands-off approach and let the system educate their children because “it’s too hard” are contributing to the downfall of America. If your children get the impression that you don’t care, they will turn to someone who does.
- Teach your children what the Bible says. The Bible is God’s guidebook for life. Every foundation for every moral and spiritual decision is in there.
- Teach your children to think critically. Children can parrot facts for a grade, but if that’s all they learn to do, a generation will grow up parroting the mantras and doctrines of secularists. And they will defend those doctrines, firmly believing in them but not knowing why, other than “it’s what I’ve always been taught.” The Bible itself encourages believers to think critically and to “try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world” (1 John 4:1).
- Integrate the Bible into all areas of your children’s lives. All too often, children fail to see how the Bible applies to areas such as math or English. That’s where the secularists get the upper hand. If children just learn to do things without God, they will stop coming to Him for anything and start believing themselves capable of handling life in their own strength.
- Live the Bible yourself. Before you can expect your children to believe in God and His Word, you must first believe it. Christ says to “love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind” (Matthew 22:37). Many times, children are more observant than we think they are. If you know God, love God, and live for God with all of your being, your children will see it.
You have the chance to change the course of history through your children. Prepare them for the future by helping them build a strong ethical and biblical framework for their lives. Teach them the Bible, and teach them to think for themselves.
But remember: the change in America starts with you.